Heketi Community Charter School
Director of Development & Community Relations
Become a part of our school community
Heketi Community Charter School is a K-5 school chartered by SUNY’s Charter School Institute that opened its doors in the South Bronx in fall 2012. We work with approximately 300 students with an annual budget of over $5 million. We seek dedicated and passionate individuals who are committed to engaging with student, families and community partners, and critically examine their practice for continued professional growth.
The mission of Heketi is to provide an exceptional educational solution through an integrated educational design with high expectations, extensive academic and social-emotional support, and a high level of family and community engagement.
Heketi is the Taíno word for ONE. Taínos are the indigenous people of the Caribbean, representing the heritage of a large portion of the Spanish-speaking population in the South Bronx. Heketi was borne out of a desire to honor this heritage and embrace the power of multilingual literacy and reading skills for success and leadership. The meaning of Heketi, ONE, is also a recognition of what it takes to create an educational environment that ensures each child's success. Heketi's educational design integrates families, school staff, and community members-all invested and united in building a community focused on achievement.
Heketi is seeking a Director of Development and Community Relations to create and oversee the implementation of a strategic approach to fundraising, which may include major gifts, corporate donations, grant solicitation, community partnerships, and in-kind resources.
● Works with the Board of Trustees to develop strategies for long-term, diversified, sustainable funding;
● Creates all development materials, including the annual development plan, calendar and budget to achieve defined goals;
● Identifies and researches prospects and manages the donor portfolio;
● Prepares Trustees and Principal for cultivation and solicitation meetings and attends, as needed;
● Collaborate with the Board of Trustees to recruit, cultivate, and on-board new Trustees;
● Oversees and implements all aspects of development fundraising, including grant applications, administration, and reporting;
● Plans and manages special events, capital campaigns, corporate sponsorships, planned gifts, major donors and other special projects;
● Collaborates with staff on the management and planning of fundraising, school-related, and donor events;
● Manages all external communications, marketing, PR and social media for the school;
● Collaborate with the Operations team to maintain and develop the school’s website;
● Networks and acts as one of the principal liaisons to community business and civic leaders;
● Develops and gains approval for an annual income and expenditure budget for the development program;
● Prepares regular reports on progress, budgets, receipts and expenditure related to fundraising and the management of development activities;
● Monitors expenses and analyzes budget reports on development and recommends changes as necessary;
● Monitors and evaluates all fundraising activities to ensure that the annual fundraising goals are being achieved.
● Excellent oral and written communication skills and poise to represent the school and maintain excellent relations with donors and grantors;
● Track record of closing gifts from individuals and sponsors at the four, five, and six-figure levels at a minimum of $200,000;
● Establishing relationships with foundations, corporate and major individual donors;
● Focused energy, creativity, enthusiasm and dedication to the mission of the school;
● Outstanding organizational and project management skills, including software database expertise (i.e., Salesforce);
● Strategic mindset, with the ability to build systems that will support Heketi's growth and operations over the next 3-5 years;
● Bachelor's degree required; Master's degree preferred;
● 2-5 years in the non-profit development field (preferably education);
● Submit the following:
2. A 400-word essay on why you are the best fit for the role
3. Detailed fundraising history and/or closing gifts in prior positions
4. Relevant writing sample
5. Salary Requirement
Heketi Community Charter School
If you are interested in applying for this position, please submit your resumé to email@example.com with the name of the position for which you are applying in your subject line.
Job Location City:
Job Location State:
Job Location Zip:
Job Contact Email:
Fundraising Day in New York 2018
Learn about Fundraising Day in New York 2018. View now>