Law Department & City Attorney of Austin
This position will be filled at one of the following levels, depending on applicant qualifications:
Public Information Specialist:
Graduation with a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with major coursework in Marketing, Public Relations, Journalism, Advertising or related field; Or Four (4) years of experience in developing and implementing programs of public information
Public Information Specialist Senior:
Graduation with a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with major coursework in Marketing, Public Relations, Journalism, Advertising or related field plus four (4) years of progressive experience in developing and implementing programs of public information, one (1) of which was in a team leader/coordinator capacity.
Experience may substitute for the education up to the maximum of four (4) years.
Notes to Applicants
This position will also serve a dual role as the Records Management Liaison for the Planning and Zoning Department.
When completing the City of Austin employment application:
•Please be sure to detail on the application all previous employment that you wish to be considered as part of your qualifications.
•A detailed, complete employment application is required. It helps us to better evaluate your qualifications and will be used to determine salary if you are selected for this position. Be sure to provide job title and employment dates for all jobs you wish to be considered.
•A resumé is required, but will not substitute for a complete employment application. Incomplete applications will not be considered. Please include contact information from previous employers.
•A cover letter is also required. In the cover letter candidates should describe, in concise detail, their interest in this position and highlight any prior experience that is relevant to this position.
Monday through Friday, 8:00 am – 5:00 pm. Additional hours evenings and/or weekends may be required based on business needs.
Job Close Date
Type of Posting
Reserved for City Employees
Planning and Zoning
Grant Funded or Pooled Position
505 Barton Springs Road; Austin, Texas; 78704
• Skilled in using graphic design software (Adobe Pro, Illustrator and Photoshop) to produce a final product
• Experience in updating Intranet and Internet web sites.
• Experience in designing developing, producing and creating illustrations and art work for marketing materials for meetings, presentations, trade shows, and other events. Experience in developing and implementing all outreach and marketing activities, campaigns, and strategies to promote departmental programs through a combination of social media, brochures, mass mailings, public presentations, special events, the Internet, etc.
• Good writing skills
• Practical experience with records management and retention regulations and practices.
• Completion of City of Austin Records Management Certificate Program
• Records management experience working for the government
Duties, Functions and Responsibilities
Essential duties and functions, pursuant to the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include the following. Other related duties may be assigned.
1. Writes, plans, organize, direct, coordinate and edit articles for publication in a variety of forms, including electronic publication. Coordinates all aspects of production of marketing materials.
2. Performs media relations duties to include: media buying, news releases, and fielding questions from media. Performs public relations duties to include: public and school education, presentations, tours of public facilities, and requests for information from the general public.
3. Assists in the planning and development of advertising/promotional campaigns/strategies.
4. Provides event coordination services i.e., arrange facilities, contact media, invite all appropriate groups and individuals, etc.
5. Designs, researches, write and edit newsletters and releases for internal or external use.
6. Develops and updates intranet and internet web sites.
7. Produces public service announcements and videos and photography for promotional use.
8. Designs and maintains databases i.e., mailing lists, association & organization lists, etc.
9. Receives, investigates, and answers questions from external media and public. Serves as liaison for media and general public.
Responsibilities – Supervisor and/or Leadership Exercised: Conducts training of personnel regarding: how to communicate with the media, train external media on departments’ media standard operating procedures.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Must possess required knowledge, skills, abilities and experience and be able to explain and demonstrate, with or without reasonable accommodations, that the essential functions of the job can be performed.
Knowledge of public information, marketing, public relations, media relations programs.
Knowledge of the functions and organization of municipal government, to include the relationships between departments, divisions and agencies.
Knowledge of the principles associated with the role of meeting the necessary standards of customer service.
Knowledge Federal, State and Local laws.
Knowledge of city practice, policy and procedures.
Skill in oral and written communication.
Skill in handling multiple projects and prioritizing.
Skill in using computers and related software.
Skill in data analysis and problem solving.
Skill in planning and organizing.
Ability to interpret policies and guidelines.
Ability to write articles for publication.
Ability to work with frequent interruptions and changes in priorities.
Ability to lead and train others.
Ability to establish and maintain good working relationships with other City employees and the public.
Law Department & City Attorney of Austin
Website : http://www.austintexas.gov/department/law
The mission of the Law Department is to provide quality legal services to the City of Austin so that it can govern lawfully with the highest level of integrity and serve the community effectively. As the chief legal advisor for the City, the Law Department provides legal advice and representation to the Mayor, City Council, City Officers, City Manager, city departments, boards, and commissions of the City.