The University of Kentucky
Public Relations/Marketing Assistant
8Z300:UK International Center
Type of Position
Position Time Status
Must be an enrolled student at UK.
Must be graduating in spring 2019 or later
Must be available to work during summer break
Required Related Experience
Experience in writing and public relations, marketing, social media and/or communications is required.
Long periods of sitting and/or standing. Lifting, pushing, or pulling of objects up to 25 pounds.
Flexible, adjustable to student’s class schedule. Typically, Monday – Friday within the timeframes of 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. Some evenings and weekends may be required.
The University of Kentucky International Center is seeking a motivated and creative public relations/marketing assistant to create, share, and measure content across multiple digital and traditional media. As the lead writer, editor and producer, the public relations/ marketing assistant will collaborate with colleagues and teams to produce written, photographic and video content that drive audience engagement and participation.
The public relations/marketing assistant will coordinate, manage and update marketing content on the external-facing UKIC’s website, ensuring consistency and alignment with the UK International Centers (
)’s website branding and vision, while employing strategies to help keep content fresh, engaging and dynamic, as advised by the
Marketing and Communications Manager.
The public relations/marketing assistant will also lead and coordinate the UKCI’s social media team; ensure content shared in UKIC’s main social media accounts (Facebook, Twitter, WeChat, Weibo and Snapchat) remains dynamic, timely and visual, and engages the UKCI’s various stakeholders (both U.S.-based and China-based) in conversations; and will provide support in monitoring and reporting of social media trends and analytics. Successful candidates will be skilled communicators who have a passion for higher education and digital platforms, and will have hands-on experience managing web and content production, and have an understanding of social media community management and measurement, and communicating effectively with multicultural audiences.
The public relations/marketing assistant will work closely and report to the
Marketing and Communications Manager.
Job Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
• Research, produce, edit and curate compelling content for multiple platforms – press releases, videos, photography, etc.
• Collaborate with colleagues and meet regularly with key students and staff to develop story ideas based on marketing/engagement objectives and strategic communications priorities.
• Transform content created for print media to be well formatted for and successful in digital channels, including social media.
Social Media Communications/Management
• Manage the UKIC’s brand on social media platforms; assist
social media team in interacting with constituents on social platforms to support marketing, promotions, outreach, customer service and engagement priorities.
• Maintain master calendar of events
• Extend marketing strategy into digital and social touch points.
• Engage in conversations with current students and community members to increase brand affinity, engagement and likelihood of involvement in
initiatives and programming.
• Apply technology and analytics to identify trends and deliver superior customer service to key constituents in social media.
• Work with
vendors including PR/Advertising firm to ensure print and online advertisements, flyers, brochures and other print materials are grammatically correct and error-free.
• Work with vendors, internal and external stakeholders to plan, coordinate and supervise various special projects and events.
In Specific Request #1 please include 3 writing samples. Examples can include written pieces for classroom assignments, campus newspaper, previous internships or jobs. Types of work can include news articles, magazine articles, an essay, blog post, pitch letter, media kit or press release.
In Specific Request # 2 include two or three design samples. Samples can include flyers, images published on social media, posters, brochures, programs, etc.
Skills / Knowledge / Abilities
Qualified candidates will be detail-oriented, creative, and demonstrate:
• Excellent cross-cultural written and oral communications skills.
• Ability to work in teams and with little supervision.
• Ability to multitask and prioritize work while under pressure and short deadlines.
• Proofreading skills.
• Desire to learn in a fast-paced environment.
• Working knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite (InDesign, Illustrator and Photoshop).
• Working knowledge of various social media platforms, including but not limited to: Facebook, Twitter and Snapchat. WeChat and Weibo preferred.
• Working knowledge and/or aptitude to learn Facebook Insights, Twitter Analytics and Hootsuite (or similar social media management tool).
• Full proficiency in MS Windows, iOS (Apple) and MS Office.
• Basic knowledge of Associated Press style.
Does this position have supervisory responsibilities?
Graduate students preferred.
Deadline to Apply
University Community of Inclusion
The University of Kentucky is committed to a diverse and inclusive workforce by ensuring all our students, faculty, and staff work in an environment of openness and acceptance. We strive to foster a community where people of all backgrounds, identities, and perspectives can feel secure and welcome. We also value the well-being of each of our employees and are dedicated to creating a healthy place to work, learn and live. In the interest of maintaining a safe and healthy environment for our students, employees, patients and visitors the University of Kentucky is a Tobacco & Drug Free campus.
As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we strongly encourage veterans, individuals with disabilities, women, and all minorities to consider our employment opportunities.
Any candidate offered a position may be required to pass pre-employment screenings as mandated by University of Kentucky Human Resources. These screenings may include a national background check and/or drug screen.
Posting Specific Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
You must be a UK student to hold this position. Are you a UK student? Yes
How would you describe your writing and editing experience? (Open Ended Question)
What is your knowledge and experience implementing strategies for content development across platforms (web, social media, etc.)? (Open Ended Question)
Where did you first see this position advertised other than on UK's Online Employment System? PRSSA Chapter email
UK Career Center
Post on a UKCI social media channel
A Colleague, Friend and/or Family Member
None of the Above
How many years of unpaid, part-time experience do you have in a position that required content management responsibilities across multiple platforms? 0 years
More than 0, less than 2 years
More than 2 years, less than 4 years
More than 4 years
Specific Request 1
Specific Request 2
The University of Kentucky · An Equal Opportunity University · www.uky.edu
Human Resources · Contact us with any questions! We are here to help.
: (859) 257-9555 option 2 · Email
to obtain more information on the University of Kentucky being an Equal Opportunity Employer.
The University of Kentucky is a public, land grant university dedicated to improving people's lives through excellence in education, research and creative work, service, and health care. As Kentucky's flagship institution, the University plays a critical leadership role by promoting diversity, inclusion, economic development, and human well-being.The University of Kentucky will be one of the nation's 20 best public research universities.The University of Kentucky is guided by its core values: Integrity Excellence Mutual respect and human dignity Diversity and inclusion Academic freedom Personal and institutional responsibility and accountability Shared governance A sense of community Work-life sensitivity Civic engagement Social responsibility