Law Department & City Attorney of Austin
$27.34 – $35.41 Commensurate
Graduation with a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with major coursework in Marketing, Public Relations, Journalism, Advertising or related field plus four (4) years of progressive experience in developing and implementing programs of public information, one (1) of which was in a team leader/coordinator capacity.
Experience may substitute for the education up to the maximum of four (4) years.
Licenses or Certifications:
Notes to Applicants
The Public Information Specialist or Public Information Specialist Sr., will participate in a cross-functional team to implement corridor improvements that support mobility, livability, and other outcomes as outlined by the Austin City Council for the
2016 Mobility Bond Program
. The Corridor Program Office was established as a new department in 2016, working closely with Austin Transportation and Public Works departments, to implement the 2016 Mobility Bond and the Corridor Mobility Program. This position is responsible for communicating with and gathering input from the public, including residents, businesses, property owners, organizations, media, partner agencies, and other stakeholders as necessary regarding the City of Austin’s Corridor Mobility Program. The goal of the Corridor Program Office is to develop, design, and build corridor improvements authorized by the 2016 Mobility Bond that address mobility, safety and connectivity. The Public Information Specialist/Public Information Specialist Sr. may contribute to any or all the following areas: marketing, public relations, media relations, strategic communications planning, public engagement, and design and development of communications materials. This position will also assist with achieving the goals and outcomes established by City Council in the 2016 Mobility Bond
Contract with Voters
$27.34 – $35.41
Monday through Friday 8am to 5pm.
*Hours may vary depending on departmental needs and initiatives
Job Close Date
Type of Posting
Grant Funded or Pooled Position
3701 Lake Austin Blvd, Austin Tx 78703
• Excellent written and oral communication skills, and ability to present to a variety of stakeholder groups
• Knowledge of neighborhood, business, and other stakeholder groups in Austin
• Skills in graphic design and knowledge of Adobe Creative Cloud/Suite applications, including Illustrator and InDesign
• Experience using social media in a corporate or professional setting
• Experience in event-planning, especially public meetings, workshops, or town halls
• Experience planning and developing promotional, marketing, advertising or communications materials through all phases of development and production
• Experience in public engagement, including facilitation, mediation, and consensus building to identify and resolve issues between the City and various community stakeholders.
Duties, Functions and Responsibilities
Essential duties and functions, pursuant to the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include the following. Other related duties may be assigned.
1. Works on assignments that are complex in nature where considerable judgment and initiative are required in resolving problems and making recommendations. Primary responsibility for larger individual projects or act as an account representative for client departments and programs.
2. Develops long-range strategic plans.
3. Writes plans, organizes, directs, coordinates and edits articles for publication in a variety of forms, including electronic publication.
4. Coordinates all aspects of production of marketing materials.
5. Performs media relations duties to include: media buying, news releases, and fielding questions from media.
6. Coordinates public relations duties to include: public and school education, presentations, tours of public facilities, and requests for information from the general public.
7. Designs, researches, writes and edits newsletters and releases for internal or external use.
8. Produces public service announcements and videos for promotional use.
- Supervision and/or Leadership Exercised:
May train and lead others.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Must possess required knowledge, skills, abilities and experience and be able to explain and demonstrate, with or without reasonable accommodations, that the essential functions of the job can be performed.
Knowledge of public information, marketing, public relations, media relations programs.
Knowledge of the functions and organization of municipal government, to include the relationships between departments, divisions and agencies.
Knowledge of the principles associated with the role of meeting the necessary standards of customer service.
Skill in oral and written communication.
Skill in handling multiple tasks and prioritizing.
Skill in using computers and related software.
Skill in data analysis and problem solving.
Skill in planning and organizing.
Ability to interpret policies and guidelines.
Ability to write articles for publication.
Ability to work with frequent interruptions and changes in priorities.
Ability to lead and train others.
Ability to establish and maintain good working relationships with other City employees and the public.
Law Department & City Attorney of Austin
Website : http://www.austintexas.gov/department/law
The mission of the Law Department is to provide quality legal services to the City of Austin so that it can govern lawfully with the highest level of integrity and serve the community effectively. As the chief legal advisor for the City, the Law Department provides legal advice and representation to the Mayor, City Council, City Officers, City Manager, city departments, boards, and commissions of the City.