Center for Family Representation
Director of Development, Marketing and Communications
The Center for Family Representation, Inc., (CFR), an innovative law and policy organization, has an opening for a Director of Development, Marketing and Communications. The successful candidate will report directly to the Executive Director and will be responsible for leading the overall development effort of an established and highly regarded organization. Specific goals of the position will include increasing our budget from $8million to $12 million by 2020, with an emphasis on expanding major gifts, increasing our exposure generally and securing corporate foundation grants.
CFR's mission is to insure that every family that can remain safely together has the opportunity to do so: we provide legal and social work assistance to 2000 parents annually whose children are at risk of foster care placement, and we were the first agency in the country to employ parents who themselves had regained custody of their children as part of our professional staff. We train more than 500 professionals each year in the city, state, and around the country, and we advocate at the city, state and national level for policies that promote family preservation and mitigate the ill-effects of poverty on family well-being.
CFR has a track record of stability and steady growth, and is poised to accelerate its expansion over the next few years: CFR began in 2002 with a budget of $250,000 and now operates in two locations with 85 staff and a budget of approximately $8 million. Our executive staff has been with the organization since its inception. We enjoy 100% giving from an active and engaged Board of Directors, comprised of leaders from New York City’s legal, business, philanthropic and academic communities.
CFR has been the primary provider of legal services to indigent parents in Manhattan Family Court since 2007 and in Queens Family Court since 2011. In 2015, CFR expanded its services to provide representation in Housing Court and targeted immigration assistance. CFR hopes to continue to expand into criminal defense and public benefits advocacy. We also hope to continue to grow our national training and technical assistance capacity. This is an exciting time in our agency history and we are seeking an energetic, creative fund-raising professional to join our executive management team.
Key Responsibilities of the Position
· Reporting to and working closely with the Executive Director, develop and implement a successful fund-raising plan, with a goal of increasing the annual budget to $12 million by 2020.
· Collaborate with the Executive Director, Board Development Committee, Chief Financial Officer, Board members, supervisors and other key staff and volunteer leaders in developing and implementing the fundraising plan.
· Grow all opportunities for individual giving, by securing and increasing major gifts, and through continuous relationship building, solicitation, and stewardship with prospective and current donors of major gifts. Build on existing relationships with donors to expand and cultivate new donors to the organization.
· Grow opportunities for institutional giving, including by adding corporate foundations to our foundation portfolio.
· Manage a development team that currently has two staff and that is expected to expand, including by attending to their professional development goals. Supervise the work of any development consultants, including our current event consultant. Work to include and integrate designated program staff on community relations, marketing, grants management, stewardship and donor cultivation.
· Develop and execute a strategic marketing plan, with a view toward increasing our exposure locally and nationally and expanding our relationships with corporations.
· Oversee planning, successful execution and follow up of CFR’s annual gala, “Celebrating Families,” an event that typically includes more than 350 guests; gradually increase the size of and revenue generated by the event.
· Oversee planning, execution and follow up of donor and board events throughout the year; oversee CFR’s annual appeal and in 2016, oversee the successful completion of our “Every Family’s Future” campaign, to help the organization expand its services and build toward an endowment.
· Align CFR’s fundraising, marketing and communications efforts to support our mission and new and existing program initiatives.
· Lead CFR's communications efforts and oversee all external communications to advance its mission across all platforms.
· Work with the Executive Director and Development staff to build and expand CFR’s Junior Board.
Qualifications and Experience
· Bachelor’s degree and at least 5-7 years of experience in non-profit development with significant experience managing major gifts relationships, including a proven track record of soliciting and closing large individual gifts.
· Demonstrated success in fundraising, stewardship and marketing targeting individuals, foundations and corporations and thorough knowledge of development and communications best practices.
· Experience interacting with board members, high profile donors, organizational managers and program staff.
· Strong management skills, both strategic and operational, with 3-5 years of experience directly supervising individual staff members and supporting staff professional development goals.
· Capacity to take initiative, think creatively, prioritize responsibilities and ability to juggle multiple tasks with excellent attention to detail; exceptional administrative, organizational and long range planning skills.
· Superb writing, communication, presentation, and interpersonal skills.
· Strong understanding of and hands-on experience with varied fundraising software and donor databases.
Salary and Benefits:
Salary is commensurate with experience; excellent benefits package. Diverse candidates are encouraged to apply; CFR is an EOE.
: Applicants should e-mail a cover letter and resume to Michele Cortese, Executive Director, at Development@cfrny.org
. Please write Director of Development, Marketing and Communications Applicant in the subject line. No phone inquiries please. Please note we are not able to respond directly to each applicant to acknowledge receipt of materials.
Center for Family Representation
Job Location City:
Job Location State:
Job Location Zip: