The Quad Preparatory School
Manager of Development and External Affairs
Position: Manager of Development and External Affairs
Imagine this scenario: A child is academically gifted, but also has special needs. Parents usually have two choices: a traditional special education setting with supports that cater only to the child’s disability OR placement in an academically challenging environment, where the child’s gifts could be nurtured at the expense of his or her mental health and well being. What choice is the right choice?
The Quad Preparatory School (Quad Prep) rejects the idea that parents need to make that choice. We area not-for-profit, private, college preparatory school located in downtown Manhattan. Our mission is to serve “twice exceptional” (2e) students or academically gifted children who have social and/or learning differences in grades K-12.
Founded in 2013 by Dr. Kimberly Busi, Quad Prep has grown from 3 to 50 students within four years. Next fall, our student population will be growing to 72 students. To meet a student at his/her level of gifts, the model of our school is to provide 1-on-1 academic instruction with the purpose of building on academic gifts and strengths, while simultaneously providing support and skill building for social, cognitive, and emotional challenges. By customizing the teaching to the way each student learns, we empower our students to rise to the level of their talents. We strive to offer our students the most current teaching methods directly from academic and medical centers from around the country.
We then share our best practices with the broader educational community at large through initiatives like our annual, national Breakthroughs conference for engaging 2e learners for parents, educators and clinicians.
1. Are you moved by the issues facing twice-exceptional learners?
2. Do you know how to connect the dots among seemingly disconnected groups to build partnerships?
3. Do you recognize the role social media plays in developing engaged supporters?
If so, we want YOU. Quad Prep is creating a new position on our leadership team: The Manager of Development and External Affairs. This position will be responsible for fundraising and promoting awareness and excitement about our mission, services, leadership, and staff to a broader constituency. Ultimately, the Manager will secure the resources that allow us to continue to build opportunities that serve our students and advance the school as a leader and influential voice in the field of twice-exceptional education.
The Manager will report to the Founder/Executive Director. The Manager works with the Executive Director and the Board of Directors in overall planning, integration, and oversight of all advancement initiatives. The Manager will also oversee the Development Assistant. The Manager will implement and promote the individual, corporate, and community fundraising activities to advance the school. She/he will work closely with colleagues to promote school initiatives across existing communication channels: organization website, email, and social media.
Overall, the Manager will grow current and prospective donors with the capacity to make multiyear commitments of $10-$15K independently match donor interests with institutional and faculty priorities; work with Founder and Executive Director to develop and implement strategies to meet a contributed income goal between $200,000 and $300,000 with an expectation to grow these goals yearly; write pitches; prepare cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship plans; and ensure the timely recording of cultivation and solicitation activity by the Development Assistant. A key part of this position will be creating a system of consistent, meaningful communication with our supporters through email, social media and most importantly, person-to-person engagement via events.
Quad Prep aims to promote a healthy and balanced work culture, with a sense of fun. As this is a new position in a relatively young organization, the Manager will be further developing and refining his/her job responsibilities over the next year. This position requires flexibility, an ability to drive projects forward independently yet knowing when to ask for help, and the capacity to prioritize numerous responsibilities at a given time.
· Demonstrated understanding of twice-exceptional education is essential. We do not expect a degree in education, but the ideal candidate will know how to describe our population and key issues they face in a compelling manner.
· Familiarity with main media outlets on education, special needs, and/or gifted and talented topics.
· At least two years of fundraising experience that includes a track record of planning and implementing successful campaigns.
· At least one year of experience in marketing, communications, or community relations/engagement.
· Ability to analyze fundraising campaign to know what worked and what could be improved.
· Strong writing ability, particularly with creating compelling pitch copy for email and social media.
· Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to “sell” complex ideas quickly, adapting message depending on constituency: colleagues, donors, board members, volunteers.
· Must know how to create fundraising event budgets.
· Must have demonstrated proficiency in Facebook (particularly with ads and analytics), Twitter, and Instagram.
· Proficient in Office applications including Google Apps, and MS Office applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint).
· Proficient in Donor Perfect or similar fundraising database.
· Proficient with Constant Contact or similar email management program.
· Basic knowledge of manipulating images for web and social media.
· Prior experience working in a new nonprofit or start-up setting preferred.
· Bachelor’s degree required.
Please submit your resume and a cover letter to email@example.com
.In your cover letter, elaborate fully on your answers to the following questions: (1) Are you moved by the issues facing twice-exceptional learners? (2) Do you know how to connect the dots among seemingly disconnected groups to build partnerships? And (3) Do you recognize the role social media plays in developing engaged supporters?
Quad Prep is an equal opportunity employer.
The Quad Preparatory School
25 Pine Street, 4thFloor-Quad
Job Location City:
Job Location State:
Job Location Zip: