Director of Foundation, Government, and Corporate Relations
Founded in 1926, Sarah Lawrence is a coeducational, residential liberal arts college situated on a wooded campus just north of New York City in Bronxville, NY. The College is internationally renowned for its combination of strength in artistic creation, high expectations for written expression, and a uniquely rigorous academic program. Wide ranging and intentionally interdisciplinary, the academic program is built around a pedagogy of close collaboration between faculty and students in a process of directed exploration made possible by a student-faculty ratio of 9-to-1.
**MEMBERS ONLY**SIGN UP NOW***. seeks a Director of Foundation, Government, and Corporate Relations. Reporting to the Senior Director of Development, the successful candidate will work in partnership with their supervisor to oversee grant-related fundraising and stewardship activity for private foundations, government entities and corporate funders, in support of both institutional priorities and faculty sponsored research. As an integral member of the Advancement team within the Major Gifts Unit, the successful candidate will be responsible for raising expendable and endowment funds for operating, capital, programmatic and research priorities, to meet the needs of the College and the goals of the $200 million Campaign for Sarah Lawrence.
• Ensure coordination of all grant-seeking opportunities across the College.
• Work in partnership with the Senior Director of Development to set detailed annual and long-term goals, strategies and actions plans, and track and regularly report on progress against goals.
• Research, identify and pursue funding opportunities from private foundations, government entities, and corporations, including preparing and submitting detailed funding proposals and LOIs reflecting campaign priorities and emerging institutional needs.
• Work in partnership with the Senior Director of Development and with the Dean of the College, as well as with the President, other Deans, faculty and Major Gift Officers, to identify and articulate fundable programmatic initiatives and match them with institutional funding opportunities.
• Work with the Dean’s, Donor Relations and Finance offices to provide effective stewardship for existing grants, including grant reporting and ensuring compliance with funder rules.
• Work closely with the Dean, President, Senior Staff and key volunteers—including members of the Board of Trustees—to identify access opportunities to institutional leaders. Seek out and maintain positive relationships with government personnel, including elected officials.
• Work with faculty to secure funding for their research, creative projects, etc., by communicating information about opportunities and assisting them throughout the grant-seeking process.
• Work closely with other members of the Advancement Office team to support their efforts, especially in programmatic fundraising. Take part in all Advancement-related activities as needed, such as Opening Day, Family Weekend, Reunion, Staff Retreat, etc. Share management of one administrative support staff member and a student worker.
• Minimum five-seven (5-7) years of direct CFR experience, preferably in the realm of higher education.
• Proven track record of securing institutional grants of $100,000 or more.
• Experience with successfully securing and stewarding both New York State and federal government grants, including funders such as DASNY, NSF and NIH.
• Demonstrated success identifying and qualifying new institutional prospects.
• Excellent verbal and written skills, with a demonstrated ability to write compelling and strategic letters of inquiry, funding proposals, and stewardship reports.
• Excellent numeracy skills, with a demonstrated ability to create budgets and financial reports.
• Ability to work in partnership with a wide range of constituents, including foundation representatives, government officials, faculty members, senior-level volunteers, colleagues, senior administrators and students.
• Ability to travel periodically with occasional evening and weekend work required.
• Bachelor’s degree required. Advanced degree a plus.
**MEMBERS ONLY**SIGN UP NOW***.
****Job Location City:
Job Location State:
Job Location Zip: