Weston Solutions, Inc.
Job ID 9763
Type Regular Full-Time
Company Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center
Category Clinical Research Support Services
More information about this job
Cures Start Here. At Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, home to three Nobel laureates, interdisciplinary teams of world-renowned scientists seek new and innovative ways to prevent, diagnose and treat cancer, HIV/AIDS and other life-threatening diseases. Fred Hutchs pioneering work in bone marrow transplantation led to the development of immunotherapy, which harnesses the power of the immune system to treat cancer. An independent, nonprofit research institute based in Seattle, Fred Hutch houses the nations first cancer prevention research program, as well as the clinical coordinating center of the Womens Health Initiative and the international headquarters of the HIV Vaccine Trials Network. Careers Start Here.
The Seattle HIV Vaccine Trials Unit (HVTU) is one of 24 U.S. and international clinical research clinics in the HIV Vaccine Trials Network (HVTN). The local unit is jointly run by Fred Hutch and University of Washington.
The Community Education Coordinator develops, implements and coordinates community collaboration and education programs for diverse populations interacting with the HVTU as community partners, volunteers, and study participants.
Cover Letters are required of all applicants
Establishes, implements and evaluates community education and recruitment/retention plans to: support HIV/AIDS awareness with/in impacted communities, provide community education about HVTU research and clinical studies, promote diversity in HIV clinical studies and within research institutions, and collaborate with community partners to engage with potential volunteers.
* Serves as liaison to the units Community Advisory Board (CAB), ensuring that agendas, minutes and meeting action items are completed and that active membership is maintained.
* Collaborates with other research CAB entities (AIDS Clinical Trials Unit, defeatHIV & Center for AIDS Research).
* Serves as liaison to local/national organizations and diverse community partners. This includes but is not limited to: AIDS service organizations (ASO), Public Health Seattle King County, HIV Vaccine Trials Network, National Institutes of Health; and local LGBTQ businesses, clubs/bars, bathhouses/sex clubs for men, etc.
* Establishes and maintains contact with local CBOs and ASOs to ensure that communication between the HVTU and these organizations informs relevant community education, study materials, joint referral & recruitment and engagement activities.
* Provides informed commentary to the Principal Investigators & other staff within the unit about developments associated with communities awareness & attitudes regarding HIV vaccine and other HIV prevention initiatives.
* Serves as the site contact for public relations and the media, which may require public speaking and interviews.
* Trains and supervises per diem recruitment staff, which includes evening and weekend work hours for outreach at community events.
Utilizes written & intercultural communication skills in the management and dissemination of information to facilitate dialogue, community engagement and participation in HIV clinical research.
* Represents the Seattle site during HVTN conferences/international calls; and participates in national community education programs & study-related activities.
* Works with HVTU Recruitment Manager and community partners to produce media campaigns for community education and recruitment materials used for community outreach and events.
* Completes required monthly & annual reports of community education & recruitment activities; and meets weekly with staff on current and upcoming community projects.
Meets Unit Participatory Expectations
* Adheres to the highest principles of participant/client confidentiality; and all unit/departmental policies and procedures.
* Maintains professional competence necessary to perform job responsibilities; maintains and provides the institution with records of continuing education activities.
* Participates in quality assessment and improvement activities as requested.
* Adheres to established safety policies, procedures and precautions; identifies potential or actual unsafe situations in the environment and takes measures to rectify the situation.
* Attends all required conferences, meetings, in-services, and professional trainings; and serves on unit, local, and national committees and professional organizations when requested.
* Training and co-supervision of per-diem recruitment staff.
* Performs related duties as required.
* BA/BS degree in community education or related healthcare field, or related college coursework (e.g. in health marketing, health education or community organizing) required.
* Minimum two years of experience with health education/outreach; in-depth knowledge of HIV disease, and individual/cultural/societal factors affecting HIV risk; experience working with/in diverse communities of color, LGBTQ communities & venues, and with transgender persons & men who have sex with men (MSM).
* Excellent written and verbal intercultural communication skills, demonstrated ability to manage projects and meet deadlines; and awareness & sensitivity to health disparities/stigma related to impacted communities (race/ethnicity, transgender/gender non-conforming persons, women, youth, and sexual minorities.
* Masters degree in public health/education, knowledge of HIV vaccine development and research, fluency in Spanish; and supervisory or leadership experience (especially in community-based organizing & networking).
***Cover Letter Required for Application***
Our Commitment to Diversity
We are committed to cultivating a workplace in which diverse perspectives and experiences are welcomed and respected. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity and VEVRAA Employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, ancestry, national origin, sex, age, disability, marital or veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, political ideology, or membership in any other legally protected class. We are an Affirmative Action employer. We encourage individuals with diverse backgrounds to apply and desire priority referrals of protected veterans. If due to a disability you need assistance/and or a reasonable accommodation during the application or recruiting process, please send a request to our Employee Services Center at ********************* or by calling ************.
Enter your details to join Resume-Library and apply for this role
This email already exists
Enter your password to login and apply
Forgotten your password?
Weston Solutions, Inc.
Website : http://www.westonsolutions.com
Weston is a national environmental and infrastructure support services firm committed to safety and client value driven to be our clients’ most effective and efficient service provider for both straightforward and complex projects. Our 100% employee-owners apply their distinct skills and experience to provide excellence in the services we deliver for our industrial; commercial; and federal, state, and local government clients. For 60 years, we have solved our client’s environmental and infrastructure support challenges with a passion to serve and driven to make a difference. Our highly networked community of professionals work as “One Weston” to bring the right resources from across 27 full-service delivery center offices, plus project offices and remote resources to meet our client’s needs through a national pool of 1,100 professionals.