Dakota State University
Director of Marketing and Communications
Building on enrollment growth, an increase in the academic profile of the entering class, new facilities and dynamic presidential leadership with an exciting vision for the future, Dakota State University is Rising and seeks a creative marketing and communications professional to provide leadership to its campus community as Director of Marketing and Communications.
Reporting to the Vice President for Institutional Advancement, the director will lead the identification, development, implementation, and evaluation of internal and external communications focused on coordinating and ensuring quality and consistency in university-wide marketing and communications efforts.
Responsibilities include providing leadership for a department that includes strategic communications, digital marketing, a production staff of four and the hiring of additional staff to complement existing activities.
Since the university is undergoing a complete re-brand of its graphic identity and will soon embark on a complete rebuild of the current website, it seeks a new director who will be intimately involved in the rollout of these exciting brand assets.
This is an exciting time to be at Dakota State!
A bachelor’s degree is required, (master’s preferred) with 7-10 years of experience in the field of marketing and communications.
The ideal candidate will:
1. Possess intellectual curiosity, sound problem-solving and decision-making abilities, and strength in creative and innovative thinking;
2. Have a strong working knowledge of design, brand development, interactive commerce, the creative process, and user interface design; an ability to communicate about these concepts and lead discussions with stakeholders inside and outside the creative team;
3. Demonstrate talent for high-caliber creative concept development and persuasive writing, including demonstrated talent and strength in print and web design capabilities for marketing and communications efforts;
4. Have a basic working understanding of the Adobe Creative Cloud and Microsoft applications;
5. Express excellent interpersonal, oral, and written communications skills; have a sense of humor;
6. Have exceptional attention to detail, strong organization and time management skills, and the ability to perform non-routine work with changing priorities;
7. Exhibit confident leadership both through facilitation and direct management and show evidence of being a team player as well as a team leader.
8. Demonstrate an exceptional ability in project management and ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously;
9. Provide examples of exceptional experience in managing, motivating, and leading a creative team from concept to completion of projects and initiatives;
10. Have a proven track record of significant experience working with vendors, consultants, and agencies that serve in partnership and support roles to extend and/or accelerate internal resources and capabilities;
11. Demonstrate facility with social and new and emerging media, market segmentation, and relevant marketing/communications technologies.
12. Possess the ability to use results from market research and institutional research to make data- driven decisions.
13. Express above-average familiarity with, and enthusiasm for, using technology tools and capabilities to create and implement innovative approaches for marketing and communications activities.
1. Experience working with faculty and administrators at a comprehensive university.
2. Understanding of the context, challenges, values and priorities of higher education, especially within a state university system.
For full consideration, DSU accepts applications through an online employment site at https://yourfuture.sdbor.edu. The employment site requests 1) a letter of interest outlining how your qualifications match the requirements specified; 2) a current résumé; (3) the names, addresses, telephone numbers, e-mail addresses, and stated relationships for at least three references and 4) transcripts of academic work completed. For questions concerning the position, contact Angi Kappenman, email@example.com. Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled.
Dakota State University, with an enrollment of 3,330 undergraduate and graduate students (www.dsu.edu), has a long and distinguished history of providing a high-quality education with a personal touch. The university distinguishes itself as the leader of technology integration in all majors offered. It is accredited through the Academic Quality Improvement Program process of the Higher Learning Commission and, to support its institutional accreditation, the university emphasizes continuous quality improvement in its institutional decision-making process.
The university is located in Madison, South Dakota in the southern lakes region of the state. The area boasts a wealth of outdoor sports and a lifestyle possible only in smaller towns and rural communities. Madison is a fifty-minute drive from Sioux Falls, the largest city in South Dakota.
Dakota State employees receive a comprehensive and flexible benefits package including paid time off, health and retirement benefits, and life and disability insurance options. Other benefits include reduced tuition, paid professional liability insurance, longevity pay and training opportunities.
DSU is committed to the recruitment, hiring and retention of minorities. We urge individuals from underrepresented groups to apply. Applicants with disabilities are invited to identify any necessary accommodations required in the application process. E-Verify, EOE.
Dakota State University
Website : http://www.dsu.edu
Dakota State University (DSU) is a South Dakota Regental Institution located in Madison, South Dakota. It offers undergraduate and graduate programs related to information systems and technology through the College of Business and Information Systems, College of Arts and Sciences, College of Computing and College of Education.