Apple & Associates, Inc.
1 - $1
Global Pharmaceutical company
is hiring a Director, Scientific Communications-
VERY COMPETITIVE base salary, bonus, stock and other Long Term Incentives
Succesfull Pharma with marketed products and pipeline of product candidates for chronic diseases that include schizophrenia, depression, addiction and multiple sclerosis. Headquartered in Dublin, Ireland, Company has an R&D center in Waltham, Massachusetts; a research and manufacturing facility in Athlone, Ireland; and a manufacturing facility Ohio.
As a product and disease state expert within Medical Affairs, the Director, Scientific Communications will provide medical, scientific and technical expertise to support product scientific communications planning and to provide essential medical support to marketed products and late-stage products. Manage and direct the scientific communication personnel within the Scientific Communications function. Oversee, develop, manage and track scientific communications plans. Oversee, develop and review publications for medical and scientific content accuracy. Ensure compliance with publication-related policies and procedures within the function. Leads, co-leads or supports the development of key product materials including abstracts, posters/presentations, peer-reviewed manuscripts, etc.
• Manage and oversee the Scientific Communications personnel Setting the direction, organization and strategy for the Scientific Communication functions
Create, manage and track strategic scientific communications plans in a cross-functional manner
• Content development: manuscripts, abstracts, posters, slide decks, monographs, etc.
• Develop in-depth therapeutic knowledge of disease, epidemiology, product and competitor product information; act as a resource to others external to Medical Affairs
• Serve as medical communications contact and resource to internal teams, especially Project Teams regarding product and therapeutic area
• Create and/or review for accuracy and strategic alignment communications containing medical and scientific content intended for internal and external customers, including a scientific communication platform
• Proactively reach out and collaborate closely with members of other internal teams
• Identify, collect and provide relevant information and input into business activities such as product and competitor insights, medical product plan and deliverables, new business assessments and other requests
• Serve as authoritative source of medical/ scientific expertise
• Scientific & Medical Communications lead for therapeutic area publication working groups or projects
• Partner with Medical Directors to develop scientific communications
• Ensure compliance with company policies and procedures
• Maintain close interactions with Compliance, Clinical Development, Marketing and other internal and external stakeholders
Key Performance Indicators
• Demonstrates and models excellent performance in the Scientific Communications role.
• Takes initiative and works independently and collaboratively with minimal supervision.
• Demonstrates and models excellent performance in the medical communications role. Is a resource to other colleagues; provides guidance, coaching and mentoring within Medical Affairs
• Ability to work in a fast paced environment with competing priorities
• Ability to read, interpret, and convey complex scientific information
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills
• Excellent management and employee developmental skills Excellent customer service skills
• Exceptional interpersonal skills
• Ability to work collaboratively towards a common goal
• Knowledge of pharmaceutical industry regulations, guidelines, standards and practices, including GPP3, ICMJE guidelines.
• Experience working in a team environment
• Demonstrated results orientation and problem solving skills
• Domestic and International travel may be required (20%)
Advanced scientific degree preferred (MD, PhD, PharmD, APRN)
Healthcare/scientific related degrees may be accepted.
CMPP certification is a plus, but not required
• Minimum 10 years of experience in Medical Affairs, Clinical Development or related field in the industry, preferably in Serious Mental Illness (schizophrenia, depression and/or addiction)
• Excellent scientific writing skills and publication development experiences
• Ability to lead initiatives and teams within Medical Affairs and cross functionally
• Knowledge of pharmaceutical industry regulations, guidelines, standards and practices
• Demonstrated problem solving skills in a complex and matrixed environment and in complex situations
At Apple & Associates, we understand that relationships are what make us stand apart. Whether you are a client or a candidate, you are an extension of the Apple & Associates’ family. Many of our recruiters have been with the company since its earliest days. They take great pride in the relationships they build; always emphasizing high standards, ethics and quality service. Our President, Debi Apple started her recruiting career in Aiken, South Carolina. She quickly became a top producer and leading authority in recruiting for the medical device, pharmaceutical and consumer product industries. Her passion and drive led her to open Apple & Associates in 1993. Under her leadership, Apple & Associates has grown to be one of the leading recruiting firms in these industries. Our company is proud to represent two of the largest medical device and pharmaceutical companies in the U.S., Covidien (formerly known as Tyco Healthcare) and our first and longtime client, Becton Dickinson. Now headquartered in Chapin, South Carolina, Apple & Associates has offices from coast to coast, offering regional recruiting expertise throughout the U.S. and Latin America. Our searches and permanent placements represent all levels, from CEO to staff level positions.