Cambr - American Red Cross
Regional Chief Executive Officer - Cambridge, MA
American Red Cross 4,852 reviews - Cambridge, MA 02140
As one of the nation's premier humanitarian organizations, the American Red Cross is dedicated to helping people in need throughout the United States and, in association with other Red Cross networks, throughout the world. We depend on the many generous contributions of time, blood, and money from the American public to support our lifesaving services and programs. The American Red Cross is the foremost volunteer emergency service organization in the United States with more than 264 chapters and 61 regions nationwide. If you share our passion for helping people, join us in this excellent career opportunity.
We are currently seeking a Regional CEO for our Massachusetts Region, based in Cambridge, MA.
Responsible for representing the American Red Cross in the community. The Regional CEO will focus externally on core mission delivery, fundraising and being the face of the Red Cross for the media, donors and their communities. Has oversight of Red Cross service delivery, fundraising and external relations within an assigned region or geographic area. Manages the community resilience programs, working with community partners to ensure that the communities build local capacity to prepare for, prevent, respond and recover from disasters. Ensures that volunteers, youth and young adults are engaged and retained into the service delivery plans. Depending on the size of the region, work may be carried out through a number of Chapters, including the direct supervision of Executive Directors (ED's). Is accountable for achieving performance targets for the Region, including service delivery, fundraising/revenue and expense targets. In conjunction with the Division Fundraising Vice President (DFVP), the Regional CEO has primary responsibility across the region for achievement of fundraising goals. Serves as a member of the Division leadership team, supporting and contributing to Division goals and activities. Utilizes the support activities of HR, IT, Finance, Communications and Marketing through a matrix project management system to ensure that all operating units have the necessary resources to execute on their community mission.
1. Fundraising (30%): In conjunction with the Division Fundraising Vice President (DFVP), is responsible across Region for achievement of fundraising goals. Acts as the chapters' and/or region's chief fundraiser. Develops and grows financial resources within Region, ensuring adequate and diversified financial resources. Leads and participates in strategies to raise and leverage funds, including working with Regional and Community Boards.
2. External Relationships and Partnerships (25%) : Responsible for building strong relationships with key organizations and community leaders. Cultivates relationships and partnerships with external constituents to further the Red Cross mission. Those partners include donors, governments, corporations, civic organizations and other community charitable and nonprofit agencies.
3. Visibility and Community Relevance (20%): Ensures strong visibility for the American Red Cross in the regional jurisdiction. Increases community awareness, participation and commitment to the Red Cross by being an active community participant and ensuring regular local media communications regarding Red Cross services and regional/national activities, consistent with regional/national communication strategies. Leverages relationships with local/regional media to ensure that the communities in the region are provided access to information about Red Cross services/programs.
4. Dual Regional Performance and assigned chapter and/or region performance – targets and goals (15% along with workforce mgt) :
Responsible for delivery of overall targets/goals of the Region including any directly assigned chapters. Responsible for strategic and operational management/oversight of reporting Chapter(s) including the effective delivery of services; meeting fundraising, revenue and expense targets; and complying with corporate governance, policies and governmental regulations. Ensures sound financial management and public accountability for contributions, income and all Red Cross assets. Responsible for approving any Chapter annual revenue and expense budgets. Works with Division Vice President (DVP) to establish Regional revenue and expense budgets.
5. Dual Regional Performance and assigned chapter and/or region performance – workforce management: Responsible for hiring, managing and evaluating any Executive Directors (ED's) within region. This is carried out in collaboration with Community Boards re their advice on these matters. Provides regional oversight and support of any ED's within Region. Identifies opportunities for sharing knowledge and resources between Regional groups and provides access to best practices and training opportunities available through national headquarters.
6. Internal Collaboration and feedback: Builds strong collaboration and consensus environment between all units in the Region, including any Chapters. Regularly shares feedback on Chapter performance with ED's in Region, Community Boards, and DVP. Provides direction and strategy for improved performance. Works with DVP and other Regional CEO's's to ensure coordinated outreach/partnerships with external constituents within the Division (local and state government, donors, corporate partners, other community agencies); collaborative relationships and activities with local Red Cross Biomedical units; positive interactions with Community Boards, and management presence in local communities within the region.
7. Service Delivery (10%) : Manages and grows the community resilience programs, working with community partners to ensure that the communities build local capacity to prepare for, prevent, respond and recover from disasters. Grows and ensures consistent, responsive delivery of high-quality Chapter services throughout the Region. This includes emergency and disaster response services, Services to Armed Forces, and international services based on Regional strategies and local community needs and objectives. Increases community awareness, participation and commitment. Builds Regional capacity for service delivery through engagement and retention of volunteers and partners. Ensures that youth and young adults are engaged through a network of Red Cross Clubs which are also integrated into the service delivery plans.
8. Other: Interacts with Community Boards as outlined in the Community Board position description. May be responsible for center of excellence design and maintenance. May be responsible for a geographic region rather than reporting community chapters. In order to be eligible for this position level, the Chapter population served will be at least 7M and total revenue will be $15M or more.
9. It is the responsibility of all Red Cross staff members to recruit, train and work with volunteers and to treat all clients, volunteers, guests, and other employees in a courteous and respectful manner at all times while maintaining a cooperative atmosphere for everyone. It is expected that each member of the regional management team to work with a volunteer counterpart to ensure key volunteers are utilized and ensure depth within the function.
10. Carries out any additional assignments required to fulfill the Mission of the American Red Cross.
1. Organizational Agility – knowledgeable about how organizations work; knows how to get things done both through formal channels and informal network; understands the origin and reasoning behind key policies, practices and procedures; understands the cultures of organizations
2. Deal with Ambiguity – can effectively cope with change; can shift gears comfortably; can decide and act without have the total picture; isn't upset when things are in the air; doesn't have to finish things before moving on; can comfortably hand risk and uncertainty
3. Manage Complexity – can effectively deliver results in complex environments incorporating factors such as a large geographic area, high disaster risk, major media, multiple government or political entities, large fundraising goals and a diverse community populations
4. Interpersonal Savvy – relates well to all kinds of people – up, down and sideways; inside and outside the organization; builds appropriate support; builds constructive and effective relationships; uses diplomacy and tact; can defuse even high tension situations comfortably
5. Professionalism and Integrity – evaluates lessons learned from both success and failures; demonstrates willingness to make commitments based on information known at the time; delivers on commitments; models a 'can-do' attitude and takes initiative; is a self-starter; inspires and motivates others to do the same. Embraces rather than resists additional responsibilities. Adheres to enterprise policies; acts with integrity; settles rather than creates conflict
6. Manage Vision and Purpose – communicates a compelling and inspired vision or sense of core purpose; talks beyond today; talks about possibilities; is optimistic; creates mileposts and symbols to rally support behind the vision; makes the vision sharable by everyone; can inspire and motivate units or organizations
Essential Functions/Physical Requirements:
Depending on work assignment, may require ordinary ambulatory skills sufficient to visit other locations; or the ability to stand, walk and manipulate (lift, carry, move) light to medium weights of up to 20 pounds. Requires good hand-eye coordination, arm, hand and finger dexterity, including ability to grasp, and visual acuity to use a keyboard, operate equipment and read technical information. Overall mobility is essential. May include sitting for long periods of time, driving a vehicle and working under challenging conditions.
Work is performed indoors with some potential for exposure to safety and health hazards related to emergency services relief work. May travel and participate in meetings and conferences throughout chapter jurisdiction, state and Red Cross system. Because the Red Cross is a disaster response organization, staff may be asked to be on 24-hour call during period of major disaster.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and duties required.
Education: Four year college degree (BS/BA) in Business, Communications, Marketing, Public Relations, Finance or non-profit administration or equivalent experience required. Prefer Master's degree in the field of community organization, public or business administration or nonprofit management.
Experience: Minimum 10 years related experience in the profit or not-for-profit sector in business, sales or corporate administration. Proven track record in raising significant financial resources.
Management Experience: Minimum 7 years experience directing a workforce and program management responsibilities.
Skills and Abilities: Demonstrated ability to develop effective work teams and build consensus within the organization and community. Demonstrated ability to exercise good and timely judgments in complex situations. Demonstrated ability for strong communication and influencing skills along with public speaking and writing. Demonstrated ability to develop and implement fundraising strategies.
Travel: As required. May also involve field work.
The American Red Cross is a nonprofit organization that offers employees growth and development, team spirit, competitive salaries and a comprehensive benefits package.
Apply now! Joining our team will provide you with the opportunity to make a difference every day.
The American Red Cross is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law.
The American Red Cross is a diverse nonprofit organization offering its employee's professional development and growth opportunities, a competitive salary, comprehensive benefits, and a collaborative team spirit environment.
5 hours ago
Duties / Expectations:
Those partners include donors, governments, corporations, civic organizations and other community charitable and nonprofit agencies----
Cambr - American Red Cross