Hyla Middle School
Start date: 07.01.18
About Hyla Middle School - grades 6, 7, 8
Everything that happens at Hyla is centered around our deep respect for and understanding of the profound and lasting growth that happens during the middle school years - neurobiological, intrapersonal, interpersonal, and academic. We work together collaboratively to honor the unique identity, voice, and path of each child. We believe in personal development as much as academic growth, integrity as much as achievement, and challenge as much as support. We have fun, we get outside a lot, and we love our students.
Hyla Middle School seeks a Director of Communications and Development to work in close collaboration with the Head of School and members of the administrative team to oversee the schools advancement program. The successful candidate is a thoughtful, passionate, articulate and experienced team leader and fundraiser who inspires confidence in the schools mission and vision for middle school education, with the ability to organize various constituencies toward common strategic goals. This position requires superb oral and written communication skills, authentic enthusiasm, and a relentless energy for relationship building with both internal and external school constituencies. The Director of Communications and Development will be a collaborative leader who partners well with faculty, staff, parents, trustees, volunteers, alumni and other members of the school community. This is both a strategic and operational leadership role and like all staff members at small schools, the right candidate will enjoy the engaging nature of work that comes from collaboration, taking initiative, and wearing multiple hats.
- Bachelors degree in communications, marketing, or development required; masters degree preferred
- Experience in a school or educational setting
- Minimum of five years working in communications, marketing, and development capacity with at least three years of fundraising and direct solicitation experience
- Demonstrated ability to cultivate and close significant gifts
- Experience managing a team and working with key volunteers
- Capital campaign experience preferred
- Impeccable writing and editing ability, including a variety of formats and genres.
- Experience with website CMSs, databases, social media platforms, content management, HTML experience or any combination will be considered
- Graphic design and layout experience essential
- Excellent organizational skills and the ability to multi-task and to maintain professionalism in a creative and changing environment.
- Responsible for all Hyla fundraising including annual fund, auction, outreach and development events, planned giving, major gifts, donor stewardship, grants, oversight of the Board of Trustees Development Committee, and strategic planning in concert with the Head of School
- Oversee the Development Committee of the Board, be the primary liaison to the Development Committee of the Board
- Proactively update and maintain accurate constituent paper/electronic data records
- Design, run and ensure accuracy of database generated reports
- Gift entry for all monetary & in-kind contributions, and reconcile records with the business office
- Draft and manage production of donor appeals including direct mail and email solicitations
- Ensure that all gifts are acknowledged in a timely and accurate manner, in compliance with IRS requirements and fundraising best practices
- Help organize development department materials, including physical and electronic files
- Support the alumni program, including but not limited to reunions, and communication flow between Alumnae and the school.
Communications and Marketing Responsibilities
- Plan and implement a comprehensive communications plan, including social media
- Ensure that all areas of responsibility are aligned to school mission, vision, and brand
- Create diverse communication materials including print and digital newsletters, marketing materials, development materials, printed invitations, family handbook, fliers, social media content, and more
- Maintain website with original content and updates
- Serve as the principle photographer to document school events and manage the Hyla photo library
- Manage advertising, media relations, and press releases
- Manage vendors
- Manage Hylas social media presence on Instagram and Facebook, and other sites as applicable
- Collaborate with all Hyla leadership and staff
- Ghostwrite as needed
- Special projects as determined by the Head of School
- Event coordination for all major school events
- Lead Hylas Parent Association (HPA) and coordinate the schools volunteer efforts
- Work in collaboration with the Head of School and Director of Admissions to support all operational and strategic enrollment management efforts
- Work with the Director of Admissions to support enrollment efforts with marketing strategies to include signage, print & digital advertising, web content, and social media campaigns. compelling admissions publications and marketing materials, oversee website content, and develop marketing strategies for online, social media, and print advertising.
- Lead schools external relations efforts and develop and strengthen partnerships with relevant local organizations.
Hyla Middle School is committed to attracting and retaining outstanding employees through a compensation and benefits package competitive with similar schools in the Northwest. Retirement and health insurance benefits are provided.
Please submit the following materials to Suzanne Messinger, Head of School, via email at *****************************:
- 1.Cover letter
- 2.Current resume
- 3.Statement of what draws you to this job at Hyla, and what your background and experience would allow you to bring to us.
If chosen to move forward in the application process, an interview would be arranged, and then, for finalists, visiting the school and meeting with faculty and staff would be expected.
This position will remain open until filled.
Hyla Middle School does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, age, religion, gender, disability, national or ethnic origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other legally protected status in its hiring or employment practices.
Location/Region: Bainbridge Island, WA (US - 98110)
Enter your details to join Resume-Library and apply for this role
This email already exists
Enter your password to login and apply
Forgotten your password?
Hyla Middle School