About Virginia Tech:
Virginia Tech is a public land-grant university, committed to teaching and learning, research, and outreach to the Commonwealth of Virginia, the nation, and the world. Building on its motto of Ut Prosim (that I may serve), Virginia Tech is dedicated to InclusiveVT—serving in the spirit of community, diversity, and excellence. We seek candidates who adopt and practice the Principles of Community, which are fundamental to our on-going efforts to increase access and inclusion, and to create a community that nurtures learning and growth for all of its members. Virginia Tech actively seeks a broad spectrum of candidates to join our community in preparing leaders for the world.
Industry Liaison serves as primary contact for all industry-related activities of the Center for Power Electronics Systems (
) in the College of Engineering. He/she reports to the
Director, who also serves as the Associate Vice President for Research and Innovation in Energy Systems (
Director leads the
Executive Board (EB), which governs the complex operations of
, involving almost 100 international graduate students and visiting scholars, large state-of-the-art laboratory facilities, millions of dollars in research contracts, and global industry consortium of over 80 companies with annual funding exceeding $2.5 million.
-ES is responsible for developing coordinated university strategy for research, innovation, business engagement, and education in energy systems, in collaboration with the University Leadership Team, including the President and the Vice Presidents. Operations managed by the
-ES and the
Director are divided between Blacksburg and the National Capital Region.
This position requires a respectful and balanced sensitivity to established operating processes and expectations from the existing CPES’ industry partners, while seeking out and implementing new processes to improve and advance performance of the
Industry Partnership Program.
- M.A. or M.S. degree in communications, engineering, arts and sciences, or a combination of training and experience in customer relations management exceeding a master’s degree.
- Exceptional planning and organizational skills.
- Advanced computer skills and proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite and Adobe Creative Cloud. Proven experience with a variety of software collaboration platforms.
- Proven ability to sustain the people-centric focus that is at the core of great customer service. Ability to understand the customer needs and ability to relate to how they are feeling in order to help provide the most effective responses.
- Outstanding responsiveness and ability to multi-task, adapt to changing priorities, and meet deadlines; comfort with ambiguity. Ability to resolve situations independently, develop plans of action and follow through with execution.
- Great communication skills, such as the ability to listen actively and the ability to pivot unhelpful conversations to more productive ground.
- Ability to empathize and be people-friendly in all professional relationships, but must be able to detach from situations and to remember that they are usually not personal.
- Proven ability to cultivate positive working relationships, build and maintain a team-based approach, and gain the trust and respect of all levels of internal and external constituencies.
- Demonstrated ability to perform duties with a high level of professionalism, confidentiality, flexibility, discretion, judgment, diplomacy, and tact.
- Demonstrated international exposure and experience of collaborating with people and institutions from many countries with different languages and cultures.
- Familiarity with at least one foreign language.
- Proven editing and writing skills.
- Prior experience at Virginia Tech or other higher education environment.
- Prior experience of working in engineering research environment.
- Experience creating and maintaining policy and procedure documentation.
Must have a conviction check:
How to Apply for this Job:
To apply, applicants must complete the online application at ****posting #AP0180225, and submit a cover letter, resume and list of three professional references (include name & contact information) as an attachment to the application. Review of applications will begin on 07/26/2018.
Administrative and Professional Faculty
If restricted or temporary, enter end date:
Renewed annually dependent upon funding
Exempt: Not eligible for overtime
Academic Year or Calendar Year:
If part time, enter Percent Time:
Commensurate with Experience ($60,000-$100,000)
Ctr for Power Electronic Systems
Location, if not Blacksburg:
Location Zip Code:
Job Posting Date:
Review Begin Date:
Job Close Date:
Restricted to university employees only?
Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Statement:
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, sex (including pregnancy), gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran status, or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees or applicants, or on any other basis protected by law.
Reasonable Accommodation Statement:
If you are an individual with a disability and desire accommodation please contact the hiring department.