University of Utah Hospitals & Clinics
Salt Lake City, UT, United States
Manager, Pr, Executive
Director, Public Relations/Communications
Director of External Relations
Patient Sensitive Job Code?
Standard Hours per Week
Full Time or Part Time?
Work Schedule Summary
M-F 8 AM – 5 PM, with occasional evenings and weekends. Travel will be required on occasion.
00018 - Utah Museum of Natl Hist Oper
Salt Lake City, UT
Type of Recruitment
Pay Rate Range
$76,000 - $93,000
Open Until Filled
The Museum is seeking a Director of External Relations, who will oversee its community and public relations and community outreach. As the State of Utah’s designated museum of natural history at the University of Utah, the Museum has strong partnerships with federal, state, and municipal agencies as well as many communities and private partners across Utah. The Director of External Relations will direct the development and implementation of communications strategies to advance the Museum’s mission and strategic goals as well as work closely with public agencies and communities to ensure the Museum is meeting the needs of our broad constituencies.
At the Natural History Museum of Utah, we recognize that our strength and sustainability as an organization stem from diversity and inclusion. For this reason, we are committed to fostering equity, recruiting and retaining a diverse workforce that reflects the communities we serve, and empowering staff members in developing an accessible and inclusive work environment.
We also place a strong emphasis on providing an exceptional experience to every guest who visits the museum or participates in any of our programs. We believe that everyone at
, at every level and in all departments, are a critical part of providing this level of experience. Therefore, all staff members receive ongoing training and are expected to consistently contribute to creating exceptional, memorable, and inclusive experiences for our guests, partners, and the community.
Review of applications will begin March 25, 2019.
1. Work closely with the Executive Director to design and implement the Museum’s communications strategy to support and build the Museum’s brand and reputation;
2. Serve as the Museum’s liaison to community and public agencies across Utah as well as nationwide, coordinating with the University’s Office of Government Relations;
3. Works with the Executive Director to develop and deliver information to community and public agencies;
4. Oversee the Museum’s public relations, including ensuring positive and professional relationships with local, regional, and national media outlets and coordinate with the Director of Marketing on social media strategy;
5. Oversee the Museum’s state-wide community outreach, and work with the advisory board to set strategic direction;
6. Participate as a member of the Leadership Team in developing Museum strategic direction and policies, and managing and developing public funding streams;
7. Coordinate closely with departments across the Museum on content for messaging and brand support;
8. Facilitate cooperative and collaborative community and institutional relationships and serve on University- and Museum-wide committees;
9. Implement proactive external communications strategy to promote and advance the mission of the Museum, including coordinating nominations of the Museum for University, state, and national awards;
10. Manage a staff and budget for three full-time and three part-time employees, including recruitment and retention through professional development.
Bachelor’s degree in Communications or related area or equivalency; demonstrated experience in community relations, government relations, and/or public relations; eight years of progressively more responsible management experience; working knowledge of Utah communities; and demonstrated leadership, human relations, effective communication skills, and ability to work effectively with individuals from diverse communities and cultures required.
Applicants must demonstrate the potential ability to perform the essential functions of the job as outlined in the position description.
Master’s degree in Communications preferred. Experience working with federal, state, and local agencies in Utah preferred.
Special Instructions Summary
Resume, cover letter, and a list of three references (names and contact information) are required.
The University of Utah is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer and is committed to diversity in its workforce. In compliance with applicable federal and state laws, University of Utah policy of equal employment opportunity prohibits discrimination on the basis of race or ethnicity, religion, color, national origin, sex, age, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, veteran’s status, status as a qualified person with a disability, or genetic information. Individuals from historically underrepresented groups, such as minorities, women, qualified persons with disabilities, and protected veterans are strongly encouraged to apply. Veterans’ preference is extended to qualified applicants, upon request and consistent with University policy and Utah state law.
To inquire about this posting, email: email@example.com
or call 801-581-2300. Reasonable accommodations in the application process will be provided to qualified individuals with disabilities. To request an accommodation or for further information about University AA/EO policies, please contact the Office of Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action, 201 S. Presidents Cr., Rm 135, (801) 581-8365 (V/
), email: firstname.lastname@example.org
The University is a participating employer with Utah Retirement Systems (“URS”). Eligible new hires with prior
service, may elect to enroll in
if they make the election before they become eligible for retirement (usually the first day of work). Contact Human Resources at (801) 581-7447 for information. Individuals who previously retired and are receiving monthly retirement benefits from
are subject to URS’ post-retirement rules and restrictions. Please contact Utah Retirement Systems at (801) 366-7770 or (800) 695-4877 or University Human Resource Management at (801) 581-7447 if you have questions regarding the post-retirement rules.
This position may require the successful completion of a criminal background check and/or drug screen.
University of Utah Hospitals & Clinics
Website : http://healthcare.utah.edu/
University of Utah Health Care is the Intermountain West’s only academic health care system, combining excellence in patient care, the latest in medical research, and teaching to provide leading-edge medicine in a caring and personal setting. The system provides care for Utahns and residents of five surrounding states in a referral area encompassing more than 10 percent of the continental United States. Whether it’s for routine care or highly specialized treatment in orthopedics, stroke, ophthalmology, cancer, radiology, fertility, cardiology, genetic-related diseases, organ transplant, or many other areas of medicine, University of Utah Health Care offers the latest technology and advancements, including some services available nowhere else in the region.