Archdiocese of Washington
Hyattsville, MD, United States
Manager, Executive, Pr
The mission of the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Washington is to spread the light of the Gospel of Jesus Christ to the world. In the faithful pursuit of this mission, the Archdiocese is seeking a Director of Media Relations. The Director of Media Relations will direct the activities of the Communications team while effectively conveying the mission of the Archdiocese of Washington. The Director of Media Relations will report to the Secretary of Communications.
Duties & Responsibilities
• With the Secretary of Communications, develop and manage media relationships and respond to daily media requests, parish communications/media requests and manage media/reporters at press conferences and other live events
• Research, write and edit press releases, backgrounders, correspondence and communication.
• Act as advisor to pastors and Archdiocesan staff on effective communications strategies.
• Lead the communications digital technology staff and other offices to communicate effectively via the Archdiocesan digital platforms including website and social media.
• With the Secretary of Communications, manage the staff to ensure timely completion of projects.
• Work creatively to maximize publicity for special events, programs and major announcements through promotion, design and writing.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
• Practicing Catholic who is committed to the knowledge of the teachings of the Catholic Church.
• Effective leader and communicator.
• Professional, poised and unshakable under pressure.
• Able to develop relationships with media and journalism professionals.
• Well versed in Catholic doctrine and current events in the Church.
• Highly organized with excellent follow up ability.
• Able to confidently handle multiple projects with tight deadlines.
• Available for weekend and evenings as needed.
Required Education and Experience
• Bachelor’s degree in Communications, Public Relations or a related field
• At least five years of media and public relations experience preferably in a major metropolitan area.
• Strong knowledge in Access, Dreamweaver and In-design.
• Advanced knowledge of all Microsoft Office Suite products.
• Excellent writing skills in long form and press release format.
• This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax machines.
• The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
• Lifting equipment/boxes/materials up to 20 lbs.
Archdiocese of Washington
Website : http://www.adw.org