Job Description: Fashion PR Coordinator helps companies in fashion, like retail stores, create and maintain a good image in the public eye. A PR Coordinator does not do ad time, so he or she must find other, creative ways to keep the brand name in front of the public. PR Coordinators choose information they want to release to the public and write press releases or conduct press conferences to filter their news through the media. When the media has questions, or a problem results outside the company, the PR Coordinator maintains strong professional relationships with news media in television, radio, and newspapers.
The salary for this job ranges from $20,000 to $100,000, sometimes more. The market outlook for Fashion PR jobs is good to excellent over the next five years. The market for PR Coordinators in fashion is growing quickly. Fashion PR jobs working as coordinators are available in retail and also at PR firms that do work for many clients. After three to five years of experience in the field, a fashion PR Coordinator becomes a senior Fashion PR Coordinator.
- Education—a four-year degree in Public Relations or a related field is necessary. Coursework in fashion and journalism is very helpful.
- Experience—an internship or some experience working in a fashion publication business is the key to beginning a solid career.
- Knowledge of journalistic basics including proper news-release formats.
- Excellent written and oral communication and presentation skills.
- Good interpersonal skills.
- Good time management skills.
- Multi-tasking skills.
- Ability to maintain an even temperament under stress.
Education and Skills Needed:
- A degree in one of these areas would be helpful in the position:
- Bachelor’s degree in public relations.
- Fashion marketing and merchandising.
- A fashion or journalism degree.
There are fashion schools that have six-month training programs in fashion. This might be a way to get started in the industry. Because the field is so popular there are many young Fashion and Public Relations students working on four-year degrees. This creates competition in the work place. Choosing the type and length of the degree might be a factor for being in line for the position. It would be wise to research companies for which you would like to work and determine if there is a minimum education requirement.
- Do an internship. A good place to start your career would be in a fashion public relations firm or with a major retailer where you can get lots of experience. An internship with a PR company is not even necessary. Get into a media outlet like a fashion website or a fashion magazine.
- Learn how to write a proper press release. You must have knowledge of both basic journalistic styles and fashion topics. You must also be extremely knowledgeable about different fashion designers, major brands, and big-name retailers.
- Become an assistant to a good fashion PR coordinator. In this position, you can gain all the basics and real-life experience.
- Accrue and keep contacts with other fashion public relations coordinators, fashion editors, and fashion designers in the fashion industry. These contacts can lead to higher positions within the fashion industry.
Real Life Jobs: What kind of business hires Fashion Public Relations Coordinators?
- A privately owned marketing and advertising firm which specializes in fashion and entertainment.
- They have a large roster of respected clients, most of whom are commonly known.
- They are expanding rapidly.
- They have recently broken through into the fashion and cosmetics world.
- Aside from a few major cosmetics brands wanting the marketing firm to broaden their customer base and bring in new business, they will soon be working with another market as well.
- What does this mean for prospective employees?
Marketing firms need new employees to work on these new campaigns. They are seeking people that are self-starters.
- Candidates selected to be a part of this opportunity will work in a fun, fast-paced environment.
- Employees will gain invaluable experience
- Employees will have the chance to make great money while gaining valuable experience.
Earn while you learn. No experience needed. This would be a great entrance into Fashion PR jobs and Public Relations while finishing a degree. In the meantime, this company will train those selected and teach them everything they need to know to be successful while working on the campaign. All the company asks is that you be ready to learn and excited to be a part of this once-in-a-lifetime opportunity.
PR Coordinator/ Public Relations
Salary: $25,000 to $35,000, Marketing Coordinator / PR Coordinator.
A well-known fashion/retail company looking for a PR Coordinator to join a growing team will look for specific things. The Marketing Coordinator/PR Coordinator will work with the Senior Marketing Manager and the Marketing Assistant to coordinate local PR and marketing campaigns to increase brand awareness, improve brand perception, and increase sales. The role will be both varied and interesting.
A Fashion PR Coordinator works partly in design, with a hand in the marketing areas. A coordinator is able to sway market information in favor of the style being produced. This person works with:
- The style office to manage collection development.
- The marketing office collecting customers’ suggestions or doing market research.
- Event organization for presenting the new collection.
- A Fashion Coordinator relates the needs of the company to the public in order to develop a flow of ideas from a style to the commercial point of view. Fashion is a great industry for those with a heart for it and a belief in the product. It takes a talented individual to create campaigns that will be successful in creating public goodwill and loyalty towards the company. As you read above, the Fashion PR Coordinator does work with other people in the company to set the tone for marketing the fashion product. Many young men and women have entered into a fashion career and enjoy their time in retail and find salaries increase as experience grows. Working conditions are comfortable and hours are steady, but there may be times, like on evenings or weekends, when work is required depending on the campaigns planned for the company.