The public relations department in various firms is responsible to manage the communication with the media, customers, employees, and investors. They are considered the main promoters and spokespeople on behalf of the company. Their basic duties are to write press releases to promote new products or to make the buying audience aware and informed of the company’s business partnerships, financial results, or other company news. They also interact with the media and try to keep the name of the company in good books with the press. Their primary work is to promote the company products or services to the most possible extent.
It is not uncommon to find a dedicated promotions team or PR team in marketing firms. This team works on creating statewide or citywide campaigns to purchase incentives such as special discounts, coupons, samples, gifts with purchase, rebates, and sweepstakes. For the promotions part, the PR team uses direct mail, telemarketing, in-store displays, advertisements, product endorsements, or special kick-off events. The public relations team is always expected to put in their opinions and the manager uses the best part for the promotions. Creativity and judgment are highly valued.
Finding a Job in the PR Industry
Here are some well-known tips to make early inroads in the industry:
• Browse PR-specific job websites that cater to the public relations industry. Many of them have current and updated job listings around the country. PRCrossing is one of the best PR job portals which is constantly updated and lists almost every PR job that one can find in the US.
• Browse through any source where PR jobs are available, as public relations specialists are needed in almost all types of fields. All industries such as healthcare, advertising, manufacturing, hotels, government, etc. use public relations specialists.
• PR jobs can be found increasingly in cities where there is a high concentration of public relations firms and top-notch companies who need PR specialists every now and then. Also PR jobs can be found easily where the press and business associations are situated. Most PR jobs are found in well-known cities like New York, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Chicago, and Washington, DC.
• The public relations industry is expected to grow in the coming years as the government and federal agencies are keeping a strict eye on the ethical practices of several companies. One can even put up a public relations agency and earn reasonably well, if he or she is good in the field.
• Networking is important to land up with a public relations job. You can increase your networks by joining local chapters of national business organizations. Offer your public relation services for free to organizations that you are personally affiliated with, especially to well-known social welfare agencies or other nonprofit agencies that will appreciate your generosity and also give you exposure. Use public relations first to promote yourself in this context and try to highlight your weak points .
• Purchase a list of public relations executives along with their personal email addresses from large list companies like Dun & Bradstreet. You can generate a great impact if you are able to convince how valuable your services can prove to be, in the long run for the company.
A college degree in public relations, journalism, advertising, or communications is essential to commence a career in public relations. Some firms are particular about hiring college graduates who have worked in electronic or print journalism, while other employers seek applicants who are adept in communication and conceptual designing. Also those with additional language capabilities also are in great demand.
Employment outlook for public relations professionals is bright, as the Department of Labor has projected the industry to grow faster than average of all occupations. However, there would be tough competition for entry-level PR jobs. The need for good public relations in an increasingly competitive business environment is sure to hike the want of more and more public relations professionals across the country.