This is absolutely baseless. Many people have joined marketing PR jobs and have accomplished it quiet well. So here are some steps that will help you to get into a marketing PR firm.
- Management comes first, marketing comes after that: a marketing PR job needs more of management function rather than being simple marketing jobs. It would be best if you can get some work experience right from your marketing PR internships before you apply for marketing PR jobs. Public relation involves a lot of business. You will have to represent your company and maintain a good relation with clients.
- How well can you build the reputation of your company: You need to work for the reputation of your organization. Build up confidence of the organization in the eyes of its target audience. You need to build up a team and work as a team. You must know how to build relationships with the clients of your marketing PR firm.
- Living up to commitments: doing things on time is vital. You have to learn the importance of time management for delivering things on time.
- You need to always practice evaluation of yourself: you have to be updated about issues all the time. You must work seriously and maintain the pressure so that everyone puts in their best of efforts. If you don't maintain pressure in the house, those who are subordinate to you will take it easy. Your employers will find out whether you are evaluating yourself through your performance and if you can satisfy them, you stand a good chance of promotion.
- You have to be ready to learn all the time: there is no end to learning. A good leader is always ready to learn new things. You will find something or the other to learn from your bosses and from your clients and from those working under you as well.
- Honesty is very important for those working in Public relations jobs. There should be no under table activities. They should be absolutely honest with the media. In case they try to cover up some loopholes the media will surely discover that later. Then the situation will get out of hand. These days media nothing can escape media attention.
- PR jobs require you to meet people and communicate with them all the time. So PR professionals must have great communication skills. You should know how to impress people with your communication so that they get convinced to do business with your company. You are the face of your organization.